Childhood obesity is a growing concern worldwide and has serious emotional and health problems. A 12-year-old child with excess weight faces challenges such as low self-esteem and bullying at school and within the neighborhood. Also, the kid is always at a high risk of many health issues like type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, and even heart disease.
Most children begin adolescence at 12 years, which comes with major physical, emotional, and social changes. At around 12 years old, the body undergoes rapid changes as it moves from childhood to adulthood, affecting both boys and girls differently. For girls, puberty can bring about body changes, including breast development, menstrual periods, and broader hips.
This can be an exciting but confusing time as they navigate their changing bodies and social relationships. Girls may also experience mood swings and stress adjusting to these changes.
On the other hand, boys experience an increase in height, muscle mass, and a deeper voice. They may also struggle with insecurity and low self-esteem as they navigate these changes and compete with peers.
Losing excess weight should be a priority. However, a 12-year-old losing weight is not recommended because the body is still developing, and any rapid weight loss can be harmful. As a parent, it is essential to make sustainable changes for your 12-year-old kid depending on the lifestyle and habits your kid is used to.
Can a 12 year old lose weight easily?
A 12-year-old can lose weight quickly by having healthy eating habits, getting enough hours of sleep, and through physical activities, among others. Continue reading to understand how a 12-year-old can lose weight quickly.
Here Are Some Tips you can consider for your 12 year old to lose weight:
1.Eating healthy diets
Eating a healthy diet is an essential part of a sustainable approach to weight loss for a 12-year-old. A balanced diet provides the necessary nutrients and energy for growth and development. Also, this kind of diet helps to reduce the intake of sugary drinks and snacks, which controls calorie intake.
Parents should also remember to limit the snacks and sugar drinks they give to their kids. Snacks and sugar drinks contain high calories, contributing to weight gain. Encourage your 12-year-old to drink plenty of water and healthy snacks instead.
Some of the foods to include in a 12-year-old healthy diet to help with weight loss include:
- Fruits and vegetables – These foods have low calories and high fiber, vitamins, and mineral levels. Include at least five servings of fruits and vegetables in your 12-year-old diet daily. Also read: Do Teens Lose weight During Puberty?
- Whole grains – Whole grains are a good source of fiber, which can help control appetite and promote feelings of fullness. Go for whole-grain bread and rice instead of their processed counterparts.
- Lean proteins – Lean proteins are vital for your 12-year-old kid to lose weight fast and work wonders for growth and repair. Chicken, fish, and beans help control your kid’s appetite and promote feelings of fullness. In return, the kids will feel full most of the time and will not need to eat snacks.
- Low-fat dairy – Dairy products such as milk, yogurt, and cheese are an essential source of calcium, which is good for strong bones. Including low-fat dairy in the diet of your 12-year-old will help to reduce calorie and fat intake. This will ensure your kid loses weight fast without any adverse effects.
- Healthy fats: Nuts, seeds, and avocados contain healthy fats vital in controlling appetite and promoting feelings of fullness. Adding healthy fats to the diet is a great way to help your 12-year-old lose weight fast.
2.Getting enough sleep
Sleep is important not only for 12-year-old kids but also for adults. Our bodies have hormones that are responsible for regulating appetite and metabolism. These hormones are affected by the amount of sleep we get every day.
Lack of enough sleep increases the level of ghrelin hormone in the body, which in turn stimulates hunger. A 12-year-old will end up losing weight quickly by getting enough hours of sleep.
Not only does sleep affect the appetite but also the physical activities of a 12-year-old. When kids are tired, they lack the energy to engage in physical activities. With enough sleep, kids can get the energy their body needs to engage in different physical activities that help to lose weight.
Sleep is also beneficial in energy balance. The energy a 12-year-old takes from eating food and the energy used should be balanced. Failing to get enough sleep means less energy, making kids less active. This leads to weight gain because the body does not engage in any form of physical activity.
3. Physical activities
Physical activity such as daily walk, can help a 12-year-old lose weight quickly because it burns calories found in the body. When kids burn more calories than they consume, they create a calorie deficit, leading to fast weight loss.
Activities like Strength training can also increase muscle mass, which is crucial in boosting metabolism. If the rate of metabolism is higher, the more calories an individual burns, even when resting.
Physical activities are also beneficial for weight loss by improving the mood of a 12-year-old, reducing stress, and promoting healthy habits.
Regular physical activity, such as playing sports, going for walks or runs, or participating in organized activities such as dance or martial arts, can also help a 12-year-old build a lifelong habit of physical activity that will support healthy weight management.
4. Drinking plenty of water
Drinking water helps both kids and adults to lose weight quickly. However, it is essential to note that drinking water alone may not lead to significant weight loss, but it can support weight loss when combined with a balanced diet, quality sleep, and regular physical activities.
Water increases the metabolism rate in our bodies, which means the body gets to burn more calories to digest and absorb the water. It is advisable to give your 12-year-old water before meals. Read: Why Do Some People Lose Around Their Ribs First
The water will suppress their appetite, reducing their food intake. This means they will not end up overeating hence consuming fewer calories. It’s recommended that 12-year-olds drink at least eight glasses of water daily.
Water is also good when your 12-year-old is doing exercises. Ensure your kids get to drink water before, during, and after doing any physical activities. The water will provide their bodies with the fluid it needs to perform better while doing exercises that help with weight loss. Additionally, water after exercising can help your 12-year-old recover efficiently.
The weight loss journey for a 12-year-old can be a challenging but achievable goal. To achieve it quickly, a parent should adopt a holistic approach that includes a combination of healthy lifestyle habits and dietary changes.
Getting enough sleep, engaging in regular physical activities, drinking plenty of water, and following a balanced diet are perfect ways to lose weight fast. If you need help with how to help your 12-year-old lose weight fast, consider seeking professional advice from a doctor.
- Quietum Plus Reviews 2023-Customer Complaints(Consumer Reports) - February 20, 2023
- How Can a 12-Year-Old Lose Weight Quickly And Easily? - February 19, 2023
- SonoFit Scam Or Legit:New Complaint Warning Found Fake Or Real - February 15, 2023